Fashion and age: what to wear and what not to wear according to your age?
Clothing reflects the style and personality of the wearer. As we get older and evolve in terms of body and style, it is also appropriate to change clothes and adapt them to our age and thus be consistent with the times.
Haven´t you ever seen a 50-year-old woman dressing as if she were 20 or a 30-year-old wearing something for 60-year-old ladies, and you thought it was not according to their age? Well, that’s what it’s all about. Dressing properly, not only for the body, skin tone, and weight but also for age.
That is why we will talk about what we should wear and what not. All according to our age and to look good at any time in our lives.
What to wear and what not according to your age
20 years old
If you are in this decade, then you are privileged. At this age, almost everything is allowed, as long as it is by the occasion. Generally, the bodies are in good shape. And therefore, it allows the use of more daring garments and styles that in older ages would not look good. In addition, it is the age of experimentation to form your style.
However, you have to be careful not to be a trend season. That is, not to wear different clothes at the same time that are in vogue at the moment. Because you risk overloading, it’s best to put together outfits and combinations while maintaining a balance.
What to wear in your 20s?
It is suitable for women this age to wear:
- Tight clothing.
- Short Skirts
- Bright Colors.
- Eye-Catching Accessories.
- Skinny jeans, hip-rise.
- Crop Tops.
- Short and sleeveless dresses.
- Graphic Tees.
- Denim Jackets.
- Sports Sets.
- Street Style Garments.
- Bold Combinations.
What to avoid in your 20s?
- Teenage clothing.
- Excess black clothing.
- Clothes for other ages as they will make you look older.
- In case you have a job interview or a formal event, combine clothes and styles that include both clothes from the 20s and older.
30 years old
In the 30s, youth is still in force, and nobody tells you otherwise. However, the lifestyle is usually very different.
At 30, you already enter the working world, and in some cases, many women become mothers. So consequently,the style of dressing must take a turn and evolve to adapt to the new facets.
This age is ideal for forming a capsule wardrobe and arming yourself with basics and timeless garments that will serve us for many years, get us out of trouble on more than one occasion, and work flawlessly with more formal or casual clothes.
What to wear when you are 30 years old
It is suitable for women this age to wear:
- Small sleeve blouses.
- Jeans (avoid ripped ones).
- Modern Fit Dress Pants.
- Tight or straight dresses.
- Pencil or Straight Skirts.
- Shoes: closed, sandals, tennis, ankle boots, sneakers.
- Mid-Thigh Shorts.
- Fisherman Pants.
- Monochrome Styles.
- Season Colors.
- Neutral Colors.
- Color accessories to combine.
What to avoid in your 30s:
- College Clothes.
- Very pronounced necklines.
- Transparencies or sequins in the day.
- Carrying a backpack or backpack-type wallets.
- Graphic Tees.
40 years old
In the ‘40s, maturity was acquired in many aspects, and clothing and style did not escape this. So, it is normal to seek to improve our image leaning more towards elegance and renew the look.
It’s also a tricky time, as stores can be overcrowded with trends that don’t match your age when you’re out shopping. Or clothes that may no longer be in style for a 40-year-old.
Another aspect to take into account is the body. At 40, you do not have the same body as at 20. In some cases, it is even better. However, they are details to consider when buying. But there are great advantages, at this age, the woman knows herself better, knows that she looks good on her and has a defined style.
What to wear at 40
- Blouses with ¾ sleeves, short sleeves, and sleeveless if you feel comfortable with your arms.
- Jeans at the waist to hide love handles in case you have them.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing.
- Straight-cut skirts and preferably above the knee to look younger.
- The dresses with the presence of plain colors and discreet necklines.
- It is acceptable to wear colored shoes,
- Comfortable shoes such as flats, sneakers, sandals, and casual ankle boots.
- As for accessories, use scarves or scarves to give a new twist to your image.
- Oversized suits are still in trend and are perfect for people of this decade.
What to avoid in your 40s
- Very stately garments.
- Big shoulder pads.
- Tiny and repetitive prints.
- Garments with large buttons.
- Pieces too loose and square. Extreme High Rise Pants
- Crop tops.
- Flowers or very large ornaments for the head.
- Cut jeans very close to the body, hip, or ripped.
- Short shorts.
- Short casual dresses.
50 years old
Currently, 50-year-old women are very active and fresh. Many are still working. Still, they usually lead a simpler life with fewer responsibilities. It is an excellent age because if at 40 women already know well and she has her style defined. In your 50s, this is more accentuated, as well as there is full control of the strengths and weaknesses.
Thanks to the lifestyle that leads at this stage, and the availability of time, many women choose to dedicate themselves to reinventing the style. This is perfect as long as it is done intelligently, rationally, and considers aspects. Like the body, figure, and lifestyle. This is the premise from now on, always aiming to put together elegant looks.
What to wear at 50
The rule at this age is less, it is more, therefore, try to wear:
- Knee-length skirts and dresses
- Very discreet necklines.
- Seeks to dress in a comfortable, classic, and timeless way.
- Discreet prints.
- Clothes that do not fit the body.
- Pants before dresses or skirts.
- Shoes: flats or ballerinas, moccasins, closed and semi-open toe ankle boots.
- Low style heels.
- Invest in timeless and essential pieces.
- Garments in trends that make you feel comfortable and that are age-appropriate.
- Plain colors.
- Shirts and flannels in sleeves ¾.
- Full bathing suits.
What to avoid in your 50s
- Skinny jeans unless you have a great figure.
- Strapless or mermaid cut dresses.
- Shirts with straps that expose arms and neck.
- Blouses and garments, in general, are attached to the body.
- Avoid the color black since it tends to harden the features and obtain an aged effect. Leave it for pants, skirts or shoes.
60 years and older
The golden age or old age does not imply that grooming and aesthetics will be put aside when dressing. The arrival of this time demands, in addition to comfort, to wear a more discreet style. And keep a distance from trends, garments, or youthful brands.
Here the key is to wear the years with dignity and sophistication, seeking a new line with touches of modernity when dressing.
What to wear when you are 60 or older
- In case of wearing a dark garment, use it in layering and use a colored one on top.
- Makeup should be in soft tones to avoid marking expression lines.
- Straight boot pants.
- Button shirts.
- Skirts in the correct length.
- Fine and sober accessories.
- Neutral and complementary colors include lilac, sky blue, soft pink, salmon, and white.
- Straight-cut blouses and dresses.
- Trench coat or short coat that you can waist.
What to avoid in your 60s and over
- Knee-high boots worn over pants.
- Very high heels and platform-style shoes.
- Tight clothing.
- In general, all youthful clothing at first glance shows that it is inappropriate for old age.
Adapting to changes over time is a way of accepting reality and evolving. So at each stage of your life, be open to changes and accept them as a challenge to reinvent your wardrobe and always have fun and feel comfortable with Fashion.