Combine plaid print successfully. The plaid pattern is one of the most popular and most used in the world. For each season, there is a type of plaid print to use. And no matter how much time passes, these do not lose validity. In the same way, even if it is not in trend, they continue to be combined and worn.
Indeed, sometimes, one type of plaid print prevails over another or some specific combination. But that does not imply that the rest of the plaid types stop being worn. So, wearing plaid will always be a wise decision throughout the year.
And, of course, there is no problem in allowing ourselves to be captivated by the trends of the moment and acquire one or another piece in fashionable paintings. Since we can be sure that in a few months we will be able to wear them without looking old-fashioned or outdated.
Wearing checks should not be limited to a single garment, as there is a wide variety of options to wear: dresses, pants, shirts, scarves, blazers, coats, skirts, and possible combinations, in which we are going to help you to achieve them.
But first, we will define the types of plaid prints, know how to wear them, and put together your looks.
Types of plaid prints
Of Scottish origin and half renegade for a few years, it is currently in trend and has been for some time.
The houndstooth consists of a pattern, an abstract figure with four points resembling a rooster’s tread, repeated symmetrically.
The most common and frequent combination is black and white. However, we can find it in a wide variety of colors and combinations. Including blue, green, red, pink, and orange, among many others.
Prince of Wales
It reached its popularity in the 1930s, thanks to the use that the Prince of Wales, Edward VIII, used in his clothing, hence its name. And his pattern consists of the union of large squares with other smaller ones.
Its style is sober and elegant, and its characteristic colors are dark, making it the print for the autumn-winter months.
Designers like Carolina Herrera have used it in their designs and collections. And it is perfect for wearing in suits, skirts, coats, and jackets.
It is one of the most versatile and cute plaid patterns in fashion. Its origin comes from France, which is used in the region that gave it its name, but for making tablecloths and other household products. Later, it began to be used for clothing, popularized by the designer Jacques Esterel. And to date, it is one of the most worn and most liked prints in the field of fashion.
It is par excellence the typical print of the spring-summer season when we see it in light and pastel colors. However, for the fall season, it is also acceptable to wear it in dark colors such as black, red, red wine, dark green, and dark blue. It will look great either way.
It is the quintessential Scottish print and the most famous, used by different designers in their collections.
And it is very common to see it mostly on jackets and coats.
Still, we can also find it on shirts, dresses, and accessories to match.
There is no set color scheme, so we can find variety in this look, making it even more versatile and easy to wear.
When we say tweed, we really mean the type of fabric rather than the plaid pattern. This is a wool fabric, with which looms with squares have been made.
It is also of English and Scottish origin, but who catapulted it to fame was the French Coco Chanel in the 1920s.
And it continues to on trend today, with the garments being exquisite and feminine cut.
How to combine plaid print successfully
Do not think that combining pictures is an impossible task. Just follow these steps so that when dressing, you have the tools and achieve incredible looks, always being faithful to your style.
- The double print is already a very common combination today. Only that, if we do this, we must do it with great care. Since from the size of the print to the colors to choose from, we must analyze them very well and avoid visual shock. Although some people do not recommend it in the case of plaid. Everything will depend on you and your daring courage when dressing and if you want to take the risk of wearing a double plaid.
- In a total look, it is also possible to wear pictures when it is the case of dresses and coats of the same print. However, in case of wearing pants and jacket or skirt and jacket sets, incorporate a plain blouse or t-shirt with a matching solid pain and thus make a visual cut of the garments.
- Incorporate plain garments in the same colors as the paintings and thus facilitate the combination of the print.
- Plaids are excellent for creating themed outfits. So if you are going to wear a green and blue tartan, which are usually present in some school uniforms, you can combine it with a white shirt, long socks, and round-toe shoes to achieve the complete school look.
- The Scottish plaid will always be a success. Therefore, wearing it in shirts, skirts, pants, dresses, and suits, among others, will always be a trend. And you can wear it either as a touch in a single garment or a total look, which will always make you look great.
- You can always opt for less striking combinations, combining plaid prints with basic garments and single colors, such as shirts, leather or denim jackets, and basic and sober colors.
- Total black with squares is an infallible type of combination since many square prints are black. Making them excellent to wear with an outfit all the better and providing a checked garment.
- In similar tones. If we want to put together a monochromatic look, we choose first the base or main color. And from there, we incorporate the other plaid garments. This formula is also ideal for wearing a double-check pattern.
Dressing in plaid is always going to be a way of being fashionable and on-trend. Since we can ensure that these types of fabrics or prints are timeless. And that’s why we have them, season after season, giving us the best possible combinations and looks.
Find your print, always being faithful to your style and taste.